Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fajeating

Today's tasty experiment was trying to make my family's famous fajitas, but without using fajita mix from a packet. I have to say it was quite a success. This time I have photographic evidence to back me up.

First I chopped a large yellow onion quite fine while some olive oil heated in a skillet over medium high heat. Once the oil was shimmery, I tipped the onions into it an pushed them around with a spoon to coat them in the oil and keep them from sticking to the pan. I added a touch more oil and a sprinkling of kosher salt, and then got to chopping a bell pepper.


First I cut around the stem and tugged out the peppers guts, then sliced it in half, and then diced it up. You could dice your peppers and onions smaller or larger, but I was in the mood for fairly small bits as you can see. I added those to the pan as the onions were just starting to get translucent, and stirred them up, adding another splash of olive oil. Then I let that cook while I chopped up some chicken. I'll spare you the raw chicken picture, not sure what I was thinking when I took it, but it looks like chopped up raw meat. Not really tasty.


I sliced up two chicken breasts and added them to the mix, as well as some (say a 1/4 teaspoon each) chili powder, cumin, seasoning salt, garlic, and black pepper. After the chicken was essentially done (all white, no pink inside when split), I added some lime juice and mint, stirred it up, and then removed it from the heat.
I added chili powder to my own tastes, and warmed up two tortillas in the same pan, one at a time.


Once the tortillas were ready, I filled them with the fajita filling and some shredded cheese, and voila. As you can probably figure out, there's a lot of fajita filling leftover, but as you can see by the empty bag, I'm out of tortillas. The debris nearby is from the onion and the bell pepper. I scooped it into the bag and stuck it in the fridge. Is bell pepper good for chicken stock? I guess there's one way to find out.

The fajitas were tasty, but I'm gonna kick up the spice a notch next time. Sadly, I didn't have a jalapeno handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment